Fishing/Fly Rod

Question
Hi Joe...
I was reading your reply to Anthony back in 2008 in regards to his Heddon Fly Rod....

I have the same rod with the exact markings with one exclusion...on the ferrules, I have no yellow or orange, it has only black windings.

The markings read.... Heddon, Black Beauty, # 17, 19', 2 1/2 F, HCH or D. I have all four pieces, the cloth wrap for each separate piece with tag, and the black metal tube.  I would rate condition to great to excellent.  I would be interested in potentially knowing the year of manufacturing and possible net worth....any input would be greatly appreciated.  
Sincerely,
J E Heath

Answer
Jack
You wrote me , Rich Mac , Joe is long gone.
Very few people say their rods are not excellent. They are usually wrong. see Homel at your local library for an exact description of the rods condition.

Assuming "Black Beauty, # 17-9' 2 1/2 F - H C H or D" is written on the butt section;
Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook by Michael Sinclair ,gives the earliest date for your rod as 1951.
Heddon put the ferrule sizes ( 2 1/2 F) on his rods starting in 1939. They stopped making bamboo in 1958. So that is the age . You can't get closer without a dated sales receipt as Heddon didn't do serial numbers.

I assume 19' is 9' or nine foot not nineteen (LOL)
Books:
Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997 (2nd edition 2000)
Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook -Michael Sinclair
Classic & Antique Fly-Fishing Tackle: A Guide for Collectors & Anglers by A.J. Campbell

Homel gives the 9', #17 "Black Beauty" fly rod  with an extra tip, 3 sections a value of  $65, 160 and $275 for poor, good, excellent condition respectively.

Luck,
Mac

Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.  

Fishing

Rich Mac McGaughey