Fishing/Proper rod and reel

Question
I am a bait caster man.. what ratio reel would you recommend and length, and flex of rod. to throw lighter baits.. say a plastic worm without a sinker, greater distance.

Thank you

Answer
Stuart  Bait caster man.  Your question in its present form cannot be answered.  In the first
place the ratio of the reel has nothing to do with casting distance. It has to do with the
ratio of the reeling in of the line. The rod does have a lot to do with casting distance but again I cannot say what kind of rod or its flex.  What I can tell you it to take one of the
worms you intend casting with hook in it but with sharp tip of the hook cut off.  pick up a
rod and reel combo or have the salesperson make one up for you. The reel must have the line
one it that you wish to use. Tie your worm on and try casting it.  You will not be able to
cast long distances in the store but you can get the feel of the rod and reel in your hands.
If the salesperson will not do this for you go to another store and another until you find  
one that will accommodate your needs.  The important thing is how well the rod and reel feels
in your hand.  Of course you can never expect to cast a weightless worm as far with 20 pound
test line as with a 12 pound.  Really that is about as much advice I can give on your question.
Oh yes, use the lowest pound test line as you dare according to the size of fish you expect to catch and how many things in the water can the fish wrap you up in.

Now to the real thing.  If distance is the most important thing you consider then  the real
answer is use an open face spinning outfit with the smallest test line that you dare use
for the type and size of fish you plan on catching and enough to still have a chance when
a big one hits.  I used to use a spinning outfit with six pound mono line  in my lake
where hooking an 8 or nine pound bass is very possible. After losing a couple of those big
ones I went to   8# line and I have caught several  8$ bass on it.   Just a thought for
a  "bait caster man."  I use bait casting outfits more than spinning outfit but if I need
to cast a light worm without sinker I go to the Spinning rod and open face reel.  I
consider the closed face reels for beginners, kids, or ladies or someone who will not
take time to learn to cast with open face spinning reels.

Thanks for choosing me to try answering your question.  Sorry I could not do more.

JackfromSeminole    Jack L. Gaither
Lake Seminole, Georgias

Fishing

Jack Gaither