Fishing/Divine & South bend bamboo rods

Question
I have a Divine 9'7" bamboo rod with the number I9580 on the butt great shape also have a south bend 47-9' H C H or C bamboo rod that is also in great shape both have the cloth case and metal case. These have not been used in over 60 years. what are they worth and where should I market them?
Thank You for your time
Jon Hill

Answer
Jon,
FYI - no one tells me their rod is in anything but great or mint condition. When I have investigated I find very few re correct.

The South Bend:
The model #47 appeared in the latter 1930s and continued into the 1950s.  If it  has the "Comficient" cork grip, thumb rest, it is from the 1940s-1950s.  It is a nine foot rod.  HCH or C is line weight. This is a heavier bass rod , 7 weight in modern terms.

Each South Bend rod was made in three actions; Wet Fly or Trout Action, Bass Action, and Dry Fly Action. The model number refers to the rod's grade, or quality and the series number represents the action. For example, #147 is Trout Action, #47 is Bass Action, and #347 is Dry Fly Action. All of these Model 47 rods have the same wraps, hardware and other specifications -only the taper is different. Your rod model, Bass Action is less desirable.

Books you can find at your local library:
Antique & Collectible  Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997 #2nd edition 2000# add about 30% for age of book.
Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook by Michael Sinclair #dates and models#

Homel gives the South Bend 9'  model "Model #47" fly rod   with an extra tip, 3 sections the  value of  $35, 80 and $150 for poor, good, and excellent condition respectively.
History:
http://fishnbanjosplace.yuku.com/topic/9/History-and-value-of-South-Bend-Rods#.U

I hope you mean  Devine not Divine.
I am assuming your rod is a fly rod , reel below handle and bamboo with flat sides not round.
Serial number of I is 1923.
The special is not mentioned in Homel but gives a same length , 3 section similar rod the  value of  $50, 145 and $275 for poor, good, and excellent condition respectively. I sold a similar Divine 2 years ago for $300.

Luck,
Mac

Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.  

Fishing

Rich Mac McGaughey