Flags/approximate price of a flag

Question
i have a U.S. flag with 45 stars . it is in good shape ,no tears of holes . the white in this flag is slightly yellow , i would say from natural aging. i would appreciate if could give me an approximate value sight unseen . thank you

Answer
Yes.

45 star flags are very common.  Unless there is something highly unusual about one, such as a dynamic, circular star design, for example, they tend to bring between $25 and $350 at auction, with sewn examples generally bring more than printed examples (with some exceptions).

The 45 star flag was generally used between 1896 and 1907.  By this time period our nation was highly industrialized in the commercial manufacture of flags.  The zigzag machine stitch became the most common method of applying stars to the flag during this period and is, in general, an undesired trait.  Yet even if a 45 star flag doesn't have this kind of stitching on its stars, however, it means little to auction prices.  This is because there are simply so many 45 star flags and almost all of them have rows of stars and are rather benign in their overall appearance when compared to earlier flags.  Subtle differences again mean little because, once again, 45 star flags are so plentiful.

Due to the Spanish American War (1898) there was a huge surge in patriotism, which fueled a lot of flag manufacturing.  Because most were mass-produced in large quantity and made by machine, in a highly industrialized time, and because most have rather generic star patterns, 45 star flags are not typically of great interest to collectors.  This is why they do so poorly at auction.

My apologies for the delay.  We here at AllExperts are volunteers from various walks of life and sometimes life gets in the way of speedy answers.

Sorry for the delay in answering you.  We here at AllExperts are volunteers from various walks of life.  

Flags

Jeff Bridgman