Flags/flags in rv park

We are living our winters in an RV park in deep south Texas along with about 50 Canadians.  We do fly the US, Canadian & Texas flags on poles in front of our Hall.  My question pertains to Canadians flying THEIR flags at their site in the Park.  I personally have no problem with it as it lets other Canadians find them easily, however, we have one gentleman who has raised all sorts of cane over this and feels that is disrespectful to our flag.

Just between you and me, this guy is nuts. It's an odd form of patriotism that says a foreigner cannot fly his own flag, for whatever reason. I'm sure that if he summered in a Canadian RV park he'd think nothing odd about displaying the S&S at his campsite.

Now it is possible for a Canadian to disrespect the US flag, by displaying the maple leaf senior to ours (to the right or above it.) On US soil, the US flag is senior to all others, no exceptions. Of course, you're in Texas, but no matter how much Texans love their state, it's not (any more/yet) a country, so its flag files junior to the other two.  But displaying a single unaccompanied flag skirts the issue of seniority entirely. No problem. Lots of people here in Miami fly their home-county flag.

Albert Kirsch

I am more-or-less expert in vexillology (the study of flags). My expertise is particularly strong in North America at the level of city and county, but if I don`t know the answer I know a dozen people who do. So if there`s a flag in the newspaper or on TV that you have trouble identifying, let me know. I`ll do my best. But PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO APPRAISE A FLAG'S VALUE: (1) I have no expertise in that area and (2) even if I did, I cannot appraise something I can't see. Take it to a museum which has a specialist in textiles and the like.

In this field, I designed the flag of Carroll County, Illinois, in 1974 (see You can see my personal flag at