Flags/Nazi swastika tapestry banner

Hello Albert:
Saw online your 12/11/2019 posting about
a Nazi Flag (swastika oak leaf wreath banner)
saying "I came across it years ago but never
thought about it til recently while i was going
through thing. its material is thick and the
boarders are black,white,gold and black. ive
attatched a picture."
Do you recall where and when you saw this banner?
I'm doing a study on this pattern tapestry like
banner, and would appreciate hearing from you about it.

Sorry for the delay; I've been busy grading final exams. I can't say I recall seeing that particular banner or answering that question, and the year "2019" doesn't help me to find it :)  Many swastika banners were used for all sorts of decorations without having official status, but honestly without a photo I don't know anything about this one. If whoever answered your question sent you a photo, you might show it to a textile expert (I am not) who might be able to assist you. Dave Martucci ( also knows a lot about this stuff; you might try him.... Sorry I can't be more help :(

Albert Kirsch

I am more-or-less expert in vexillology (the study of flags). My expertise is particularly strong in North America at the level of city and county, but if I don`t know the answer I know a dozen people who do. So if there`s a flag in the newspaper or on TV that you have trouble identifying, let me know. I`ll do my best. But PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO APPRAISE A FLAG'S VALUE: (1) I have no expertise in that area and (2) even if I did, I cannot appraise something I can't see. Take it to a museum which has a specialist in textiles and the like.

In this field, I designed the flag of Carroll County, Illinois, in 1974 (see You can see my personal flag at