Flags/45 star american flag

I have a 45 star American Flag that is about 158" x 117".  I was wondering if you could help me with a value of it?
thank you

Hello and thanks for your email.

45 star flags are very common. Unless there is something highly unusual about one, such as a dynamic, circular star design, for example, they tend to bring between $25 and $350 at auction, with sewn examples generally bring more than printed examples (with some exceptions).

The 45 star flag was generally used between 1896 and 1907. By this time period our nation was highly industrialized in the commercial manufacture of flags. The zigzag machine stitch became the most common method of applying stars to the flag during this period and is, in general, an undesired trait. Yet even if a 45 star flag doesn't have this kind of stitching on its stars, however, it means little to auction prices. This is because there are simply so many 45 star flags and almost all of them have rows of stars and are rather benign in their overall appearance when compared to earlier flags. Subtle differences again mean little because, once again, 45 star flags are so plentiful.

Due to the Spanish American War (1898) there was a huge surge in patriotism, which fueled a lot of flag manufacturing. Because most were mass-produced in large quantity and made by machine, in a highly industrialized time, and because most have rather generic star patterns, 45 star flags are not typically of great interest to collectors. This is why they do so poorly at auction.

The size here is also an issue because huge flags are impossible for collectors to display.

Kindest Regards,

Jeff Bridgman

I am an expert in antique American flags, particularly in Stars & Stripes flag, both printed and sewn varieties. I also have expertise in antique Confederate flags. I am not an expert in flag etiquette and flag laws, so please don't ask me questions concerning where and how to fly modern American flags. My particular focus is on the 19th century, when there basically were no laws or rules of formal etiquette.

I am the world's largest buyer and seller of antique flags. I also have 25 years of experience selling other early American textiles.

Antiques Dealers Association of America (ADA); Antiques Counci; Antiques & Arts Dealer's League of America (AADLA); Cinoa; North American Vexillogical Association (NAVA)

The Magazine Antiques, FOCUS (Journal of the Antiques Council), Antiques and the Arts Weekly, Northeast, New England Antiques Journal, Chubb Collectors [Chubb Insurance Group], Country Home Magazine, Country Living Magazine, etc.

Graduate Degree, 1994