Flags/48 star flag

I recently came across a flag believed to belong to my grandfather,who served in WWII. The flag has 48 stars sewn in. It is stamped in the upper right corner. The first line reads "FLAG, STORM 5x9 1/2 FT". The second line is less eligible. I believe it reads as follows, "U.S.M.?. VALLEY FORGE FLAG CO." There is another line printed below the Valley Forge Flag Co., but is ineligible. It has two large, very solid metal rings attached the corner by screws & small washers rather securely. Any idea a date or irigin for this flag? Perhaps even maybe just it's purpose? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Valley Forge is a major manufacturer. No indication of the date. "Storm" suggests, in those pre-nylon days, that this flag was made sturdy enough to fly in a storm. (Note the secure attachments.) Military or civilian, there's no way to tell, though USMC (marine corps?) might be the initials, so that would obviously be military. Other than that, all US civilian and military use the same design, so there's no way to tell its actual use.

Albert Kirsch

I am more-or-less expert in vexillology (the study of flags). My expertise is particularly strong in North America at the level of city and county, but if I don`t know the answer I know a dozen people who do. So if there`s a flag in the newspaper or on TV that you have trouble identifying, let me know. I`ll do my best. But PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO APPRAISE A FLAG'S VALUE: (1) I have no expertise in that area and (2) even if I did, I cannot appraise something I can't see. Take it to a museum which has a specialist in textiles and the like.

In this field, I designed the flag of Carroll County, Illinois, in 1974 (see You can see my personal flag at