Flags/American flag

We found an old flag while cleaning out a basement. There appears to be some mice damage. The flag is about 5 feet by 8 feet. It Has the 13 red and white stripes along with a total of 31 stars that are arranged in a circle with one star in each corner and one in the center of the circle. Any information would be appreciated. In addition there are no holes or grommets for hanging but a fold or pocket where the rope would go through.

Hi.  Can you please send me some images of it to ?

Be sure to send a couple close-ups of the fabrics and stitching so I can see how it is constructed.

Is this something that you wish to sell or simply evaluate?

Warm Regards,

Jeff Bridgman

I am an expert in antique American flags, particularly in Stars & Stripes flag, both printed and sewn varieties. I also have expertise in antique Confederate flags. I am not an expert in flag etiquette and flag laws, so please don't ask me questions concerning where and how to fly modern American flags. My particular focus is on the 19th century, when there basically were no laws or rules of formal etiquette.

I am the world's largest buyer and seller of antique flags. I also have 25 years of experience selling other early American textiles.

Antiques Dealers Association of America (ADA); Antiques Counci; Antiques & Arts Dealer's League of America (AADLA); Cinoa; North American Vexillogical Association (NAVA)

The Magazine Antiques, FOCUS (Journal of the Antiques Council), Antiques and the Arts Weekly, Northeast, New England Antiques Journal, Chubb Collectors [Chubb Insurance Group], Country Home Magazine, Country Living Magazine, etc.

Graduate Degree, 1994