Flags/Mother's flag pin

Attached is a photo of a ring my family found in a jewelry box that had been my Mother's.  She passed over the summer and we are slowly going through her estate.  We don't know who it belonged to, as none of her children have not been to war.  There is a possibility it could have been her mothers or it could have been passed down from further back.  None of my siblings had ever seen it.  The images are less then professional, but if you have seen anything like this and can shed some light on it, we would certainly appreciate your information.  Thank you

The flag displayed on the pin is a service banner.

The practice of displaying a son-in-service banner became popular during WWI and was continued or even increased during WWII.  Families would display them in their front windows to signify the numbers of sons they had serving in the military during the war.  There was one star for each soldier.  Organizations produced these flags too.  Their's could have any number of stars, as many as 450 or more have been seen on one banner.  The flags were traditionally composed of a rectangular white field with a blue star or stars, framed by a rectangular red border.  If a soldier was killed, a gold star was applied over the blue one.  If other circumstances occurred, such as the soldier became a prisoner of war or missing in action, another color was used for the overlay, such as purple or red.

This could be WWI or WWII.  I am guessing WWII.

It doesn't have significant value, but it's the most elaborate one that I have ever seen.

p.s.:  My apologies for the delay.  We here at AllExperts are volunteers from various fields and located around the globe.

Jeff Bridgman

I am an expert in antique American flags, particularly in Stars & Stripes flag, both printed and sewn varieties. I also have expertise in antique Confederate flags. I am not an expert in flag etiquette and flag laws, so please don't ask me questions concerning where and how to fly modern American flags. My particular focus is on the 19th century, when there basically were no laws or rules of formal etiquette.

I am the world's largest buyer and seller of antique flags. I also have 25 years of experience selling other early American textiles.

Antiques Dealers Association of America (ADA); Antiques Counci; Antiques & Arts Dealer's League of America (AADLA); Cinoa; North American Vexillogical Association (NAVA)

The Magazine Antiques, FOCUS (Journal of the Antiques Council), Antiques and the Arts Weekly, Northeast, New England Antiques Journal, Chubb Collectors [Chubb Insurance Group], Country Home Magazine, Country Living Magazine, etc.

Graduate Degree, 1994