Flags/Ensgin No.2 Mare Island 1924

Question
QUESTION: I have acquired and Ensign No. 2 made in 1924 at Mare Island.  How was it displayed or on what? Any information/history would be appreciated. It is in fairly good shape for being being 90 years old.

ANSWER: Hi.  Mare Island was the headquarters of the Pacific Fleet.  That is a U.S. Navy flag.  I can't recall off the top of my head the specs for a No. 2 made in that specific year, but it is a ship's ensign.

It has 48 stars I presume?

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you.  We here at AllExperts are volunteers from various fields.  I was on vacation with my family when your question came in.

Enjoy it.

Warm Regards,

Jeff

QUESTION: Thank you for the information.  I did not know that they were made that big for ships.  The size is approximately 19 X 38.7 feet, originally made, with time and stretch it is 20 X 40.  The stars are 14 inches from point to point, and the stripes are approximately 20 inches wide.

Answer
Hi.  I do not think that even the largest ships flew that size in that period.  That's probably a garrison flag.  I did not realize that a No. 2 was 40 feet.  It was probably made to fly at Mare Island itself or at another West Coast or Pacific base.

My expertise is 19th century.  When you get into the 20th century, I am less of an expert, especially in Army and Navy regulations, which I don't keep handy and changed periodically.  I can tell you that in the 19th century, garrison flags were 35-45 feet and ships didn't fly that scale.  As for boats in the 1920's, I am not 100% sure, but my best educated guess is that it's a garrison flag.

You might contact the U.S. Naval Academy Museum.  They would with certainty have copies of 20th century regs.

Warmest Regards,

Jeff

Flags

Jeff Bridgman