Flags/45 star flag

I have a 45 star flag found in a trunk that was in a house that was moved from ft sheridan Illinois.the bottom two rows of stars background is grey not blue. I believe the flag was flown at 5the fort..what up with the background and what could it be worth...?

The 45-star flag was official from January 4, 1896, when Utah became the 45th state, to November 15, 1907, when Oklahoma became number 46.

So it's all but certain it dates from that time period. I have no idea why the background is gray. Perhaps the colors have faded? It sounds as though it was a hand made flag as well.

The condition would determine the value. You should bring it to an antique dealer who specializes in Americana.

Marc Leepson

I can answer questions about nearly every aspect of the American flag, especially its history. I cannot answer questions about other flags, such as state flags and the flags of other nations.

I am the author of the book Flag: An American Biography, the history of the Stars and Stripes from the beginnings to today. (Thomas Dunne Books/St. Martin's Press, 2005).

Authors Guild

Washington Post, New York Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Baltimore Sun, Chicago Tribune. Magazines: Smithsonian, Preservation, Civil War Times, The VVA Veteran, Vietnam, World War II, Military History

BA, History, George Washington University, 1967 MA, European History, George Washington, University, 1971

Vietnam Veterans of America