Flags/48 gold stars world war 2 flag

My dad received 2 flags.  We believe they are from his uncle who was KIA in WW2.  The uncle was  buried in one cemetery then moved to a larger one in France a couple of years later. The first flag is 48 white stars measuring 3ft 6in by 6ft 8 in.    The second one is 48 gold stars; all stars are gold measuring 5 feet by 9 1/2 feet.  So the question is why are they gold and why were 2 flags sent.

I never read of any gold-star flags such as the two you describe during my research for my book, Flag: An American Biography.

I just did a bit of checking and found there was something called a "War Mother's Flag" during WWI and after that, but it only had one gold star.

My educated guess is that it has something to do with the fact that your uncle was killed in the war and perhaps the Gold Star Mothers organization had a hand in it. That organization is still in existence. You might want to check with them about this.

Here's the contact info from their website:

American Gold Star Mothers
2128 Leroy Place, NW
Washington, DC 20008

Marc Leepson

I can answer questions about nearly every aspect of the American flag, especially its history. I cannot answer questions about other flags, such as state flags and the flags of other nations.

I am the author of the book Flag: An American Biography, the history of the Stars and Stripes from the beginnings to today. (Thomas Dunne Books/St. Martin's Press, 2005).

Authors Guild

Washington Post, New York Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Baltimore Sun, Chicago Tribune. Magazines: Smithsonian, Preservation, Civil War Times, The VVA Veteran, Vietnam, World War II, Military History

BA, History, George Washington University, 1967 MA, European History, George Washington, University, 1971

Vietnam Veterans of America