Flags/2 potential placement spots in a conference room

Hello-We are putting the U.S. flag and state flag in the boardroom of our college. On the wall opposite the door are portraits of college presidents. The table is positioned so that the Board chair sits with his back to the wall to the right of the door (meaning the portrait wall is to his right when seated). I understand the rule about the U. S. flag being to the seated speaker's right but the Board of Trustees is not the only group using that room. Other speakers or hosts of other groups using the room might not necessarily sit in the same spot the Board chair does.

Several of us think the flags should be placed on either side of the portraits, one in each corner. Considering the seating information I mentioned in the first paragraph, would that be incorrect placement?

Thank you.

I assume the room has no permanent fixtures like chairs in an auditorium. In that case the flags should be best set as you describe, US to the viewer's left of the portraits, state to the right. Of course, if they are movable, you might want to move them for the board meetings, but that wouldn't be necessary.

Albert Kirsch

I am more-or-less expert in vexillology (the study of flags). My expertise is particularly strong in North America at the level of city and county, but if I don`t know the answer I know a dozen people who do. So if there`s a flag in the newspaper or on TV that you have trouble identifying, let me know. I`ll do my best. But PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO APPRAISE A FLAG'S VALUE: (1) I have no expertise in that area and (2) even if I did, I cannot appraise something I can't see. Take it to a museum which has a specialist in textiles and the like.

In this field, I designed the flag of Carroll County, Illinois, in 1974 (see You can see my personal flag at