Flags/Virginia Confederate Flag

Question
My Son has a confederate flag he bought from a friend. He was told that it is a Virginia Confederate flag. It has Valley Forge Flag Co., Spring City PA on it. I found the Company online and see that they were established in 1882. So that tells me that it at least was made after that date. It also has 100% Cotton Bunting on it and in the upper right hand corner it has VF-2. He says that it appears to be old, although it is in good condition. Is there any information that you can share with me regarding the flag with only that information to go on? What does the VF-2 represent? Sorry I am located in a different State from my son or I would take a photo of it and attach it.

Answer
Hi, Jim.

Made of cotton and bearing that mark, it would be WWII or after.  While this company claims roots as far back as 1882, in my experience the only marked examples I have encountered are post WWII.  The 2 is probably a size reference or it may be the quality of bunting used.  Flag-makers had different grades.

Warmest Regards,

Jeff

Flags

Jeff Bridgman