Flags/9ft5inx4ft 10 in sterling flag

Question
My flag is all wool with hand sewn stars(48) the size is as above and is between years 1912-1959. Can you give any more info and value if possible.  Tag read " sterling double warp all wool". Thanks Vickie

Answer
Hello and thanks for your question.

Sterling was a brand name of the Annin company.  Annin is our nation's eldest flag-maker that is still in business today.  The company was founded in the 1830's, incorporated in 1847, and was located in New York City until the 1960ís, when it moved to Verona, New Jersey.  Sterling was a trademark for Anninís highest grade of wool bunting (with one possible exception, if I am not mistaken).

Based upon my experience with Sterling label flags, yours is likely to pre-date WWII.  This is an educated guess rather than fact, but wool bunting flags largely disappear after WWII and the Sterling label is more often see earlier than later within the 48-star period.  I am not sure of the year that it first appeared, but I will hedge a guess at about 1914 or so.

The size of your flag is typical for a burial flag.  It may have been presented to a family following the death of a soldier or veteran.

Without seeing it, value is probably $25 - $100 at auction.

Warmest Regards,

Jeff

Flags

Jeff Bridgman