Flags/49-star american flag

0ur VFW Post was given a 49-star flag that this family purchased when they were first made. We are going to put in a case and put it on display at our post,and we would like to know the worth of it for insurance reason's. Thank you

Most people will go their entire lives without seeing a 49 star flag, but they are very common among flag enthusiasts.  49 star flags were official for 1 year and many thousands were made.  Thousands of unused 49 star flags were found in a warehouse and released into the marketplace, which also didn't help in regards to their being more scarce.

The flag is worth probably $50-$100 at auction and so it in not necessary to insure it.  Larger ones are a bit more unusual.

Warm Regards,

Jeff Bridgman

I am an expert in antique American flags, particularly in Stars & Stripes flag, both printed and sewn varieties. I also have expertise in antique Confederate flags. I am not an expert in flag etiquette and flag laws, so please don't ask me questions concerning where and how to fly modern American flags. My particular focus is on the 19th century, when there basically were no laws or rules of formal etiquette.

I am the world's largest buyer and seller of antique flags. I also have 25 years of experience selling other early American textiles.

Antiques Dealers Association of America (ADA); Antiques Counci; Antiques & Arts Dealer's League of America (AADLA); Cinoa; North American Vexillogical Association (NAVA)

The Magazine Antiques, FOCUS (Journal of the Antiques Council), Antiques and the Arts Weekly, Northeast, New England Antiques Journal, Chubb Collectors [Chubb Insurance Group], Country Home Magazine, Country Living Magazine, etc.

Graduate Degree, 1994