Flags/50 star american flag

Hi, i Would like to ask you about this flag, IT has 50 stars, The size is 40x78 and is from Cotton. Do you know from which year it is, and if its collectibale? Thank you for your time!

It is not a collectible, though it is an "official" US government flag. By that I mean its dimensions are those specified in the official description of the flag, a ratio of 1:1.9. (Typical popular flags are 3x5, or 1:1.7) Where this flag flew is anyone's guess (unless you have the history), but it was likely someplace official, like a post office or naval vessel. It may have flown above the Capitol, but those are not collectible either, as so many people request them that there is one person (or two) whose sole job is to raise a flag, let it fly for a few seconds, and then lower it for the next one.  The manufacturer, Annin, is a large company who produces the bulk of flags sold in this country, US and foreign.

The year could be any time after 1960 (the 50th star was added on the July 4 following Hawaii's admission as a state in August 1959.)

Enjoy it, though. Most people do not have a flag saying "U.S. Property."

Albert Kirsch

I am more-or-less expert in vexillology (the study of flags). My expertise is particularly strong in North America at the level of city and county, but if I don`t know the answer I know a dozen people who do. So if there`s a flag in the newspaper or on TV that you have trouble identifying, let me know. I`ll do my best. But PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO APPRAISE A FLAG'S VALUE: (1) I have no expertise in that area and (2) even if I did, I cannot appraise something I can't see. Take it to a museum which has a specialist in textiles and the like.

In this field, I designed the flag of Carroll County, Illinois, in 1974 (see You can see my personal flag at