Flags/Position of POW/MIA flag

Michael Buss Email
Michael Buss Email  
Mr. Kirsch,
You seem rather certain that the proper position of the POW/MIA flag is second in the order of precedence. Have you considered another point of view based on the U.S. Flag Code? Attached is a recent email from Mr. Michael D. Buss, Deputy Director at the national headquarters of the American Legion.

You misread some answer I gave. Mr Buss is 100% correct; the POW/MIA flag is the flag of a private organization and is junior to all government flags of whatever level.

Aside: Much the same is also true of the "Christian" flag (white with a red cross on a blue canton) -- someone asked me how can one fly "God's flag" beneath the national flag. My response there was that this flag belongs to a group of Protestant churches (Episcopalians, Catholics, and I think Methodists have their own) which are private organizations. God doesn't need a flag :)

Albert Kirsch

I am more-or-less expert in vexillology (the study of flags). My expertise is particularly strong in North America at the level of city and county, but if I don`t know the answer I know a dozen people who do. So if there`s a flag in the newspaper or on TV that you have trouble identifying, let me know. I`ll do my best. But PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO APPRAISE A FLAG'S VALUE: (1) I have no expertise in that area and (2) even if I did, I cannot appraise something I can't see. Take it to a museum which has a specialist in textiles and the like.

In this field, I designed the flag of Carroll County, Illinois, in 1974 (see You can see my personal flag at