Flags/48 star flag

Question
Whole flag
Whole flag  

Stamp
Stamp  
I acquired my 48 star flag when I was in the Boy Scouts. I know nothing about it. Its in great condition, on the binder, or where the eyelets are it has a stamp saying U.S. ENS 9. It is 80 inches left to right and 40 inches top to bottom. If u could give me inormation an possibly a value I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Answer
Hi.  This is probably a U.S. Navy flag given both the markings and it's heavy duty hoist.  I can't tell from your images if it is cotton or wool, but I am guessing mothproof cotton bunting and post-WWII as a date, meaning the 1946-1959 portion of the era in which we had 48 states.

If you'd like you may send close-ups to me at info@jeffbridgman.com.  I need to see fabrics in both the stripes and in the canton.

If cotton, I'd estimate this to bring $50 - $150 at auction.  If wool I'd say $100 - $200.

Best,

Jeff

p.s.:  I apologize that I couldn't get back to you sooner.  We here at AllExperts are volunteers from all different fields.  I was on the road when your email came in.

Flags

Jeff Bridgman