Flags/48 star flag

Whole flag
Whole flag  

I acquired my 48 star flag when I was in the Boy Scouts. I know nothing about it. Its in great condition, on the binder, or where the eyelets are it has a stamp saying U.S. ENS 9. It is 80 inches left to right and 40 inches top to bottom. If u could give me inormation an possibly a value I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Hi.  This is probably a U.S. Navy flag given both the markings and it's heavy duty hoist.  I can't tell from your images if it is cotton or wool, but I am guessing mothproof cotton bunting and post-WWII as a date, meaning the 1946-1959 portion of the era in which we had 48 states.

If you'd like you may send close-ups to me at  I need to see fabrics in both the stripes and in the canton.

If cotton, I'd estimate this to bring $50 - $150 at auction.  If wool I'd say $100 - $200.

p.s.:  I apologize that I couldn't get back to you sooner.  We here at AllExperts are volunteers from all different fields.  I was on the road when your email came in.

Jeff Bridgman

I am an expert in antique American flags, particularly in Stars & Stripes flag, both printed and sewn varieties. I also have expertise in antique Confederate flags. I am not an expert in flag etiquette and flag laws, so please don't ask me questions concerning where and how to fly modern American flags. My particular focus is on the 19th century, when there basically were no laws or rules of formal etiquette.

I am the world's largest buyer and seller of antique flags. I also have 25 years of experience selling other early American textiles.

Antiques Dealers Association of America (ADA); Antiques Counci; Antiques & Arts Dealer's League of America (AADLA); Cinoa; North American Vexillogical Association (NAVA)

The Magazine Antiques, FOCUS (Journal of the Antiques Council), Antiques and the Arts Weekly, Northeast, New England Antiques Journal, Chubb Collectors [Chubb Insurance Group], Country Home Magazine, Country Living Magazine, etc.

Graduate Degree, 1994