Flags/49 star flag

Question
What would you offer for a 49 star 5 X 9/12 ft. cotton "best"
2x2 ply cotton butting from Valley Forge Co. Spring City, PA. Used to belong to my father; in very good condition.
Thanks
Ray

Answer
Hi, Ray.

Most people will go their entire lives without seeing a 49 star flag, but they are very common among flag enthusiasts.  49 star flags were official for 1 year and many thousands were made.  Thousands of unused 49 star flags were found in a warehouse and released into the marketplace, which also didn't help in regards to their being more scarce.

The flag is worth probably $50-$100 at auction.  Larger ones are a bit more unusual, but yours is probably a burial flag, which hurts it.  The size is also difficult to sell.

My best advice is to gift it to someone who will treasure it, perhaps a young person in your family.  It will be worth more some day.

Best,

Jeff

Flags

Jeff Bridgman