Flags/superseded flags

What is the proper protocol for superceded flags, which I think means, flags which are not current with 50 stars?

Older US flags would be "junior" to the current one, which holds the senior position. After that it becomes a bit hypothetical, since such flags are rarely displayed with those of other countries or states. Official protocol manuals are written for military and diplomatic use, and this wouldn't fall under that. So if you do mix them up, I guess it's up to you :)

Albert Kirsch

I am more-or-less expert in vexillology (the study of flags). My expertise is particularly strong in North America at the level of city and county, but if I don`t know the answer I know a dozen people who do. So if there`s a flag in the newspaper or on TV that you have trouble identifying, let me know. I`ll do my best. But PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO APPRAISE A FLAG'S VALUE: (1) I have no expertise in that area and (2) even if I did, I cannot appraise something I can't see. Take it to a museum which has a specialist in textiles and the like.

In this field, I designed the flag of Carroll County, Illinois, in 1974 (see You can see my personal flag at