Flags/36 star American flag

I believe that Nevada was formally admitted as a state in October of 1864. I also believe that the 36 star American flag was not formally adopted by the United States until July 4, 1865. Does that mean that the army and navy did not fly the 36 star flag until on or after July 4, 1865? Is it possible that any of the military used the 36 star flag after Neveda was admitted but before the 36 star flag was formally adopted? On what do you base your answer? Thanks.o

Non-military sources flew 36 star flags even before the state came in.  It was common to add stars in anticipation of new states' addition.  At that specific time U.S. military typically did not fly it, simply because so many 34 and 35 star flags had been produced and were stocked in a surplus situation.  So Union battle flags, for example, do not (possibly with the rarest of exception and nothing that I know of 100% proven), have 36 stars.

Jeff Bridgman

I am an expert in antique American flags, particularly in Stars & Stripes flag, both printed and sewn varieties. I also have expertise in antique Confederate flags. I am not an expert in flag etiquette and flag laws, so please don't ask me questions concerning where and how to fly modern American flags. My particular focus is on the 19th century, when there basically were no laws or rules of formal etiquette.

I am the world's largest buyer and seller of antique flags. I also have 25 years of experience selling other early American textiles.

Antiques Dealers Association of America (ADA); Antiques Counci; Antiques & Arts Dealer's League of America (AADLA); Cinoa; North American Vexillogical Association (NAVA)

The Magazine Antiques, FOCUS (Journal of the Antiques Council), Antiques and the Arts Weekly, Northeast, New England Antiques Journal, Chubb Collectors [Chubb Insurance Group], Country Home Magazine, Country Living Magazine, etc.

Graduate Degree, 1994