Flags/36 star American flag

Question
I believe that Nevada was formally admitted as a state in October of 1864. I also believe that the 36 star American flag was not formally adopted by the United States until July 4, 1865. Does that mean that the army and navy did not fly the 36 star flag until on or after July 4, 1865? Is it possible that any of the military used the 36 star flag after Neveda was admitted but before the 36 star flag was formally adopted? On what do you base your answer? Thanks.o

Answer
Non-military sources flew 36 star flags even before the state came in.  It was common to add stars in anticipation of new states' addition.  At that specific time U.S. military typically did not fly it, simply because so many 34 and 35 star flags had been produced and were stocked in a surplus situation.  So Union battle flags, for example, do not (possibly with the rarest of exception and nothing that I know of 100% proven), have 36 stars.

Flags

Jeff Bridgman