Flags/American Flag

Question
Hello,
just doing some housekeeping and came across a 48 star American Flag which I understand is common.
what is interesting about this flag is that it is quite large measuring at 17 feet long by 9 feet wide.
It is woolen ands very heavy.
My former father in law was in the Merchant Marines for many years and traveled globally and from the looks of the heavy rope with reinforced steel eyelets it appears the flag may have flown on the ships on which he was a first mate.
I consider it to be in excellent condition.
I suspect it has some value which I am trying to determine as I  most likely will donate it to a worthy cause.
Thank you
R Brusini

Answer
Although I'm not an expert in the value of old flags, 48-star flags are very common, and unless there is something significant about the particular flag, I don't believe it has any special value. I could be wrong, however, so I would suggest you find an antiques dealer near you who specializes in Americana.

Also, there are a decent number of American flag collectors and dealers out there. Try Googling "American flag collectors." One of them is Ben Zaricor. His website is www.flagcollection.com  

Flags

Marc Leepson