Fleetwood Mac/The song "Sara"

Question
Hi Tiffany

In your answer to a question about the meaning of the song "Sara" you made a reference to an aborted child. Was this Stevie Nicks child? If not, whose? A friend and I had been discussing the meaning of the lyrics and we were blown away by your comments about the songs inspiration.

Thanks much
Steve  

Answer
Hi Steve,

The following quote is taken from Don Henley's 1991 interview with GQ:

[Henley's prodigious romantic escapades would include an affair with Stevie Nicks, who] "I believe to the best of my knowledge became pregnant by me. And she named the [unborn] kid Sara, and she had an abortion and then wrote the song of the same name to the spirit of the aborted baby. I was building my house at the time, and there's a line in the song that says ĎAnd when you build your house, call me.''

Following the release of that issue of GQ, there was a Stevie mention in the Sunday Parade, where a reader wrote in and asked how Stevie responded to Don's statement. The answer was:

"Stevie Nicks, 43, won't comment on Henley's revelation, only replies that they 'remain friends'. But in the notes to her new 'Best of' album, the singer writes candidly of love affairs she has had with rock stars Mick Fleetwood, Joe Walsh, and Henley. 'Finally, after all those years', Nicks says, 'people have to understand why these songs were written and why I sometimes get so emotional on stage, why I sometimes burst into tears.'"

Stevie was also asked about the GQ comment in an interview with Mary Turner in 1994. She responded by saying Don had to make many an apologetic phone call.

Understandably, it's a very personal subject-- the only other time she has publicly referenced it was in a 1992 interview with a UK magazine called VOX. Sadly she seems very disconnected and emotionally vulnerable in the interview, and even goes so far as to imply that she has lost four.

Going back to "Sara"... I doubt that's what the entire song is about, but it does seem to fit with the lyrics "now it's gone, it doesn't matter what for" and "there's a heartbeat and it never really died". Similarly, the lyrics to the song "Goodbye Baby" (also known as "The Tower" -- a song written in the late 70s/early 80s that has circulated among fans for many years. It is essentially an early demo of "Goodbye Baby" with a few slight lyric changes) could be interpreted as being about the same subject. Of course, only Stevie knows for sure.  

Fleetwood Mac

Tiffany