Flooring and Carpeting/slate tiles that popped up

Kelly wrote at 2013-06-21 19:23:53
I am a pro with nearly 20years in the business.  

The fact that the original thinset is turning to powder suggests only one thing to me.  

Almost all tile setting and grouting materials are Portland cement based.  Portland cement is very strong and durable when used properly. Many tile setters aren't aware that adding additional water (after initial mixing)  to any Portland cement based product will severely compromise it's integrity.   The results are crumbly, powder like consistency after its cured.   That's probably why the grout was fine and the thinset failed.   As always, check and double check the substrate to make sure it meets the adhesives requirements, then proceed and follow mfr's instructions.     Good luck.  

Flooring and Carpeting

John Michaels