Flooring and Carpeting/Installing 12 x 12 marble tiles in bathroom

lj wrote at 2013-03-19 11:38:51
to make it even easier to go with his answer you can purchase pearllight which is small foam like additive  which helps hold a nice motar bed...or by a marble or medium modified set.the medium sets typically already have pearlight added in them.there is another way to set the marble as well but is for an experience stone setter which is called mud set.this process is a difficult process but allows less settlement and will give you a perfect level floor.you will be mainly using a mortar mix and verry little modified thinset. You start by finding the highest point of the wall or floor.after ypu find this point you need to mix the mortar(same thing as a stucco mix.the concistancy of this mix should be verry thick...wetter than a drypack mud but much dryer than a thin set also you need to mix a modified thinset in a seperate bucket.ypu first spread the thinset on the floor with a 3/16x3/16 v notch trowel.then place a minimuim of a 1/2 bed of mortar sand mix. place a peace of marble down ontop of the mortar bed and tap down gentally with a white rubber mallet around edges but close to center of tile untill the tile is level in all directions.then you pull that tile up and spread thinset on the back of the tile and tap down again. The mortar mix does not bond to the t

To the tiles nor floor by itself this is why you start with a small amount of thinset as well as finish. This process is much hatder and takes more time but it gives you a much stronger and a much more level floor and walls.  

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga