Flooring and Carpeting/grout width

Question
I have recently installed a new bath tub. The existing flooring is ceramic floor tiles. The tiles were installed up to the original tub. The replacement tub is appx. one inch narrower than the original tub. This left a gap between the tub and the existing tile. Should I fill thsi gap with sanded grout or some type of epoxy or syllicon sealant.

Answer
Hello and thank you for contacting The Grout Dye Company in NY.    

A 1" gap near the tub and floor can lead to problems down the road from moisture and water getting into the substrate.

If you have some of the old tile have thin strips of it cut on a wet saw and placed them in with thinset. Once it sets up grout the tile joint and the expansion joint by the tub.

This spot is considered an expansion joint since their is always movement from the floor and tub.

This is a common problem spot  for cracking grout, since the grout and tile is a non resilient material and doesn't flex as the tub and floor move.  It would be my suggestion to also caulk with Phenoseal or Silicone after the grout has dried in the expansion area.

Thank you;

Michael C. Malizia

The Grout Dye Company
www.groutdye.com
groutdye@aol.com
888-249-0240

Flooring and Carpeting

Michael C. Malizia