Flooring and Carpeting/under or around toilet

Tom McGaughan wrote at 2013-01-30 03:37:39

Well based on the date you have already laid your new flooring and set your toilet. One of the problems that most people make when remodeling a bathroom floor is the change in floor height with regards to their toilet flange. In most cases, and I have seen licensed plumbers do this, is just stack a couple of wax rings and install the toilet. You would be surprised, I know I have been, to see just how many toilets are installed incorrectly when the home is being built. The toilet flange outer lip is supposed to rest on top of the finished floor but many a plumber or contractor install them directly on the sub-floor, whether it is a concrete slab or wood, not even considering what type or thickness the finished flooring will be. So 4-5 or 10 years down the road they have a leaking problem with major structural damage that has been going on since the initial installation. Since you can't see won't hurt you is a bad saying to anyone who has had to rip out sub-floors and joists to repair a toilet leak. If your toilet's rocking, leaking or fell through the floor! I would advise you see if your toilet flange was installed too low or worse have a slow leak. The only extender, to bring your flange up to it's correct level, that I have found is a product called Set-Rite. The owner/inventor has a video on YouTube and their website that shows you how to repair those cast iron, lead bend & PVC flanges that will give you a water and gas-tight seal. I hope this long story on toilet flanges and leaks helps someone out there...I have personally repaired over 65 toilets in the last 4 years whenever I found one that was installed inproperly...Good Luck & No Leaks!!

Flooring and Carpeting

20+ years flooring installation ...carpet,wood,tile and vinyl. Residential and commercial. I do not sell the products , just install what ever the shop / customer has purchased. I actually love seeing the finished project completed and it gives me great satisfaction to help others acheive that goal. If I don't know the answer I will say so, and then I will recommend another expert for you. I may even research the subject and answer to the best of my ability ...including links to my sources. I wish you all success Chris

20 years as an independant contractor

H.S. diploma A.S. agriculture Mt San Antonio JR. College

Gene Bonas and Kevin Churnock Inc. Sheward&Son&Sons Century 21 Forte Const. Famous Footwear BOSE Corporation Homebodies General Contractor Perry Floors, Tri Cord Flooring T.J.'S Supplies