Flooring and Carpeting/ceramic tile and plaster

I have 4 x 4 ceramic or porcelain tiles (look like natural finish) I am wanting to stencil a design on them using drywall compound or something like that and then seal with mod podge to make coasters.  Will the plaster stick to the tile?

Thank you for your question Deann...sorry I am tardy responding to you.

The chances that something like a drywall compound remaining attached to the Ceramic or especially the Porcelain is not very good...but with the application of mod podge it will improve your chances. The glue should securely hold the stencil in place but there is no telling for how long on the Porcelain example mainly because the porosity for the material is so small, .05 means very little will stick to it but that is mostly a concern for a sealer being used and over a floor installation not for a coaster. I think your coaster will last longer than most other coasters and with your personalized design I think it worth a shot to see it succeed. What's the worse that can happen?...let me know how it goes, sounds interesting. Feel free to return anytime...

Perry V.

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga

Ceramic Tile/Marble. I can answer questions about floor preparation, tile selection, layout questions, performance of products, expectations of finish, compatabilities, questions about grout and epoxies, evaluating an installer, asking the right questions to check competence...more? 33 years this August 2012/ many years in commercial application from exterior finishes to Mall store fronts/ interior finishes like floor packages in stores inside Malls examples: The Limited, Lerner/NY, Lane Bryants, Bombay Co., Now involved in Residential new construction covering all types of interior finishes and designs.

I worked in an exclusive field of floorcovering called "Tenant Development" which is by invitational bid only, by way of a National bid list. These are large floor packages usually over 3500 sq. ft. of 18" x 18" Marble and Granite and many other types of Marble and sizes. They are specialty stores where the floor package can cost upwards of $50,000 for one store. I have also done "Structure" stores and J. Riggins stores, Lane Bryant,Express and Body Shop stores where wood flooring is used. Presently work for a National Flooring Company in the Residential new construction arena that covers most interior design elements..Granite Slab tops/wood flooring both job finished and prefinished ect..

My response's are published all across the Internet and picked up by multiple Interior Design sites and Industry related web sites where people have questions...

too many most of which don't count...