Flooring and Carpeting/eco friendly kraus carpet 25oz carpet

Hi Carol
 What is your product knowledge regarding kraus the carpet manufacture.Good or bad? I recently purchased a 25oz cornsilk nubian ssoft sensations.A eco friendly carpet.Is this a good product? I was charged $17.99 cdn a square yard.Is this a fair price?
I went into a homedepot the other day and I they had a 40oz soft for the same price.What is a better carpet.

Actually I know alot about Kraus Carpet-- I ran their Co, Wy and NM territory for over 10 years.  

I searched their website and don't see a carpet named "nubian".  My guess is it's a private label from the dealer.  

I will tell you this, HD will give you a low price for material, but by the time you are done-- the "extra's" can far exceed the sticker price.  

Carpet is at a point where it never wears out.  It can ugly out.  Wear as defined by the carpet industry is loss of fiber.  That won't happen, but it can stain, zipper, and show traffic.

A lot of people go by face weight alone.  That is a good start, but not the whole story . You could have a high face weight but if the carpet isn't dense, that only means that 40 oz will just flop all over and crush.  

Read the warranties and all the fine print.  Kraus is the only company I know that offers a stain proof no exception warranty.  Not to say your carpet has a stainproof warranty,  I can't see from what you have given me one way or another.  

Check out  Find out the manufacturer of the HD carpet and check that out too (if they give it to you).  If they don't give it to you, ask for a warranty package.  That means, printed information on what each warranty entails.  This should be provided at NC-- I don't want you to think it's like an extended warranty or something you need to buy.  

Don't take the salesperson's word for it.  They really don't know.  

And last, which carpet is best can be different things to different people. A family with animals and animal spills may want something different than a single couple.  It really is a bigger question than you anticipated, but that is because you don't work with this every day.  And unfortunately, too many salespeople only talk to you about appearance.  

Please, ask any follow up questions.  

Flooring and Carpeting

Carol Blaha

Flooring questions: Specification, Warranties, Inspections, Product Knowledge, Enviromental Issues

I have been in the field 25 years, first as a specifier, then retailer and currently manufacturer representative on contract with 8 manufacturers, independent inspector and conduct moisture testing. Founding board member of the CO Chapter, US Green Building Council

WFCA (World Floor Covering Association), NTCA (National Tile Council America) SCRT (Society of Cleaning & Restoration Technician), ASTM F60, (Environment) and F06 (Resilient Floor)

Colorado Real Estate Journal, Smart Buildings

MBA, CTC (Certified Tile Consultant), RRT (Carpet Repair & Reinstallation), CCT (Carpet Cleaning Technician, ISSI (Substrate Inspection) and completed coursework for Independent Ceramic Tile Inspector, Hardwood/Laminate Inspector and Senior Carpet Inspector. Scheduled to complete Independent Resilient Inspector in April.

Multiple Awards for Salesperson of Year and President's Club

Clients include Fortune Co's to mom and pop