Flooring and Carpeting/parquet floor

dear sir,
I have recently had a parquet floor put in my house. The floor was new build so the underfloor might still have been slightly humid. Now some parts of the floor have completely come of the cement, basically the glue is not keeping the wood on the floor, if I knock with my knuckles on those points it sounds hollow. In general the flood is not completely flat, each slate is slightly buckled up, like small waves.
Now my question is if I need the hollow parts redone as I am worried that with time it will get worse as the humidity in the summer can be quite bad. The builder who has laid the floor says there's no problem but I want to enjoy the floor even in 20 years time....
kind regards

Thank you for your question Joost,

You don't mention where in CA you live but I know humidity levels are always elevated near the coast of anywhere. So based upon your brief mention of sections of the install are lifting off the cement I am assuming that a "glue" adhesive was employed to adhere the Parquet to the slab. Prior to the installation did your Contractor perform a "moisture test" to determine whether it would be a good idea or not to continue with the installation? Ground water can affect any slab on grade and a test will tell a lot. Not that it would affect a thinset installation of Ceramic Tile but using a glue (was it a water based glue or oil based adhesive) to install a Parquet could be affected. If moisture is transfereing into the adhesive it can cause it not to "set" or cure and instead the wood material comes in contact with "moisture" which is the enemy of wood and buckling will soon ensue as you are learning first hand. I would pull up a couple of the suspect Parquet to inspect the adhesive beneath and see it's condition. It may still be "wet" to the touch and if so then the glue adhesive has failed and a correction will be required. If there is buckling of this wood flooring, your Builder saying "there's no problem" doesn't count for much and he is avoiding reality. I would have a "third party" Homes Inspector come and have a look that way you can get a "certified report" that can be used to encourage cooperation at making you a happy and satisfied customer. Do you have copies of your Contractors Liability Insurance??? I hope so...anyway I am not confident that your floor is going to improve most likely it will get much worse so pull up some parquet to check the glue and call a Home Inspector to give clarity to what your current situation is ok? Thats it Joost I hope this helps you with your problem, feel free to return anytime...

Perry V.

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga

Ceramic Tile/Marble. I can answer questions about floor preparation, tile selection, layout questions, performance of products, expectations of finish, compatabilities, questions about grout and epoxies, evaluating an installer, asking the right questions to check competence...more? 33 years this August 2012/ many years in commercial application from exterior finishes to Mall store fronts/ interior finishes like floor packages in stores inside Malls examples: The Limited, Lerner/NY, Lane Bryants, Bombay Co., Now involved in Residential new construction covering all types of interior finishes and designs.

I worked in an exclusive field of floorcovering called "Tenant Development" which is by invitational bid only, by way of a National bid list. These are large floor packages usually over 3500 sq. ft. of 18" x 18" Marble and Granite and many other types of Marble and sizes. They are specialty stores where the floor package can cost upwards of $50,000 for one store. I have also done "Structure" stores and J. Riggins stores, Lane Bryant,Express and Body Shop stores where wood flooring is used. Presently work for a National Flooring Company in the Residential new construction arena that covers most interior design elements..Granite Slab tops/wood flooring both job finished and prefinished ect..

My response's are published all across the Internet and picked up by multiple Interior Design sites and Industry related web sites where people have questions...

too many most of which don't count...