Flooring and Carpeting/Partially tiled basement floor

Question
I have a basement that is approximately 700 sq ft. and 2/3 of it is tiled with 9x9 tiles. The cut tiles around the wall were removed before we purchased the home. Previous owners had leak problems which we have fixed. I am assuming that the water is what brought up the tiles around the wall. Of course, there is black cutback adhesive were the tiles were but i wet scraped as much as i could get off. With the water problem fixed, but as yet untested by a good rainy period, i would like to just paint the entire basement floor to spruce it up a bit. Thought about an epoxy kit but didn't want to spend the money and risk failure of the product.

My question is, can i fill in the missing tiles and the few that are partially missing with a concrete based skim coat, then skim coat the entirety of the tile portion to fill in the cracks between the tiles, and then just paint the entire basement. I would try to feather out from the tile into the concrete floor to make a smoother transition. I have been looking at Henry Unipro 547 for the skim coat. I am a diy'er but have never skim coated anything let alone a floor space this big.

Do i need to prime the tile first,
do I need to etch the concrete portion before paint ( It is super smooth and water beads on it).

I'm not expecting it to look pristine but would like it to look a little better than just throwing some paint on top of a partially tiled floor and I know from experience that prep is the better portion of making it look good, I'm just not sure how to prep this multiple dual surface situation. Thank you in advance for any advise you may provide.

Answer
Thank you for your question Steve,

Vinyl squares is perhaps the easiest thing to work with so you have that working in your favor. Now I would suggest that you just go out and find the vinyl squares at a local vendor that carries VCT and that are at least "close" to what you already have and install them first so that there won't be any fancy floating required...follow me? If you are going to paint it anyway then it won't matter if they look the same right? You can employ a standard vinyl adhesive to install the perimeter tiles and any other ones that may be loose...easy. Then you can use a stripper to clean off any old dirt or sealer whatever from all the tiles and paint away. If you can put down two coats the first should fill any cracks or gaps between tiles and a second coat act as a top coat and be much smoother. If you rather you can just use a latex caulking (white) and simply go around and fill in the cracks smooth off with your finger and wipe away the excess with a wet sponge and then you can see if one coat of paint will foot the bill for you, ok? I hope this helps you with your project Steve, feel free to return anytime...

Perry V.

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga