Flooring and Carpeting/porcelain tile installation

Question
I am having our bathroom remodeled and will be setting the tile on the floors & walls myself after the contractor has prepared the surface(s). I am using a 13" porcelain field tile and want to make a pattern that alternates rows of 6X13" tile. Because there is not a tile available in this dimension, I want to cut my 13" tiles to fit this pattern. My (new) wet saw has a 7" blade. Do I just flip the tiles to cut? Also, I am using a contrasting mosaic tile (it is ceramic & glass on mesh)as insets to the field of porcelain.  For this transition, and to cap the ends of the porcelain (where it forms a wainscotting)I was going to use a metal strip (schluter)rather than a bullnose or rounded ceramic strip. How do I cut the metal, and do I miter the ends or is there a piece that fits on the ends? All-in-all, does my plan sound reasonable?

Answer
Thank you for your question LD,

The design scheme is doable so long as you are careful to "stone" the cut side of the 6"x13". Because the material is Porcelain you can really apply pressure to the cut length and try to "profile over" the square edge to produce a sort of factory edge. You don't mention whether this is a tub or standing shower but either way with alternating rows of 13" then 6" you will want to put the "cut length" on the down side on the lower sections and then once you get up to around shoulder height you can put the "cut side" up. This way you can keep the factory edge in you line of sight or view and the cut either above or below the line of sight or view. It's a small thing I know but it can help make a difference visually once completed. As for the cut itself it would be best if you could make a single pass with the surface side up while making your 6" pieces. If you were to flip over you will have a potential problem with neither cut matching where they come together.
     Now the metal strip can be a nice touch and for some of their edging Schluter does make corner pieces that insert where they come together. It depends on which profile you go with as to whether there is a matching metal corner...otherwise you can cut the metal (slowly and carefully, test cut a piece to see)...right on your water saw into the 45* corners you are wanting to make. Your plan is sound and will work out fine so long as you also have some "wedge" spacers for your vertical joint spacing going up the wall. The tiles are seldom exactly the same and the wedge will make it far easier to keep things on track than "perfect" spacers that won't...follow me? I would prefer that you install this material with a modified (white) thinset rather than mastic as the format is really too large for mastic and being a Porcelain to boot you will need some additional bonding help to securely hold the impervious Porcelain material. Ok LD I hope this helps you with your project, feel free to return anytime....

Perry V.

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga