Flooring and Carpeting/Re: Hardwood Finishes

Question
Hi Perry,

Hope you are doing well. I am planning to install hardwood floors in my main area. I am not sure about the color.  I would prefer darker tones, the area is approx 500 sq ft, this includes living and dining area. What would you suggest?

Thank you
Have a great day!

Answer
Thank you for your question Bibi...sorry I am tardy responding to you.

The past three houses I have purchased all have one thing in common, soon after closing I installed a large amount of Hickory. So perhaps Bibi I may be a bit slanted towards a lighter appearing wood. I do not like Maple or Ash though mainly because there is little "texture" with it. Both varieties of wood are what we refer to as a "clear" wood with few if any knots or checks or character coloring. The most common installed wood of coarse is Red Oak by far and about 9 out of 10 of these installs have a stain applied to it...from Nutmeg (medium color) to Ebony (nearly black). The most common where I am is Antique Brown and it does closely match the darker leaning cabinets. As long as there isn't dark wood "everywhere" along with the dark cabinets things can get visually closed in. The same thing can happen with a Walnut floor. What saves this dark design is windows that allow a large amount of light to come in. Of course at night the dark setting can lend to an overall intimate feeling...which I like as well. The Hickory flooring being bright is an uplifting design even at night when the lights come on and the natural light diminishes. I would encourage you to offset the dark toned flooring with lighter color on the walls that will help to keep the dark floor from taking over the space. Chestnut is a good color like Nutmeg not too light and not too dark but the medium color palette is depending on the color of cabinets or materials that will be around it. A Red Oak install that is left natural is a great looking floor as well and allows for the differences in individual boards that will run through the floor. Ok Bibi I hope this helps you with the process, feel free to return anytime...

Perry V.

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga