Flooring and Carpeting/kitchen flooring and dadoo tiles

Question
Hi we are doing the interiors of our new apartment i need some advice for kitchen flooring we have put marble in living and dining then comes kitchen. i have picked agranite countertop called desert brown has little green tone with black specs.
area of kitchen 11x11ft. cabinets will be smoked maple little dark tone not as much as a cherry and so for flooring what should i choose a glossy vitrified tile like marble looking would overpower the granite? a light wood color tile ? or granite with lighter color. again for dadoo i cant find much choice here digital printed ceramics please guide me.
thanks

Answer
Sorry I am tardy with my reply Nancy...Holidays keep me buried.

Thank you for your question...

A kitchen design scheme must be considered in "light of the light" that is available for the space. If you are dealing with a smaller space then Natural light can make the space "appear" larger, whereas if the kitchen is a "captured" kitchen meaning there is no access to incorporated windows that allow Natural light you may close in the space visually by having too many dark appointments. My personal choice is I like an overall darker overview by having darker cabinets and flooring but incorporate a bright or highlighted island as the focal point to the kitchen space. There are so many exotic Granites now available as to boggle the mind which I love. The things that are beneath my feet should not be the showstopper to the room...backsplashs and again the island are the visual points where you should employ the visual stimulation that can set the space apart. I am not a fan of a polished surface in a space unless everything else that it supports is of a matte or flat finish, too much of a polished thing can move you over to the tacky side of things (forgive my being frank). Being understated can say alot and allow you the opportunity to use new materials and classic materials to make things stand out in an unexpected way. With the explosion of so many "glass tile" designs and assemblies the backsplash can now become a "piece of art" and visually separate the upper portion of the kitchen from the lower, same for the island. Have you ever seen Quartz illuminated from below on a kitchen island??...amazing visual statement. I like textured examples of Ceramic/Porcelain tiles that perform well and are easy to maintain, and there are different finishes available for Granite now with the "flamed" or "leathered" finishes which are subtle but still visually stimulating and do not overpower the main visual selections you are making. An 11x11 kitchen is a nice balanced space and is large enough to afford you exactly what I have suggested. Also be sure to select the largest format (size) tile that you can stand for your floor as less grout joint is easier to maintain and fewer joints will make your floor appear larger...ok? That's it Nancy I hope this helps you with your project, feel free to return anytime...Happy New Year.

Perry V.  

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga