Flooring and Carpeting/marble on shower floors

We did a shower floor installation with calacatta oro basketweave marble.  we used laticrete hydroban waterproofing for shower pan, waited the recommended 48 hours dry time after floating floor before applying waterproofing.  tiled shower floor with the marble, waited 3 days before sealing with a surface penetrating sealer and floor turned dark in certain areas once the homeowner started using the shower.  any recommendations? why did this happen?  is marble not a good material to use for shower floors?

Thank you for your question Joann,

Most likely what you are seeing is remnant moisture holding in the Stone. You allowed the proper timeframe commonly recommended for a Stone installation and the process is more in line with how the material will perform as an installation method rather than a visual one. Even when a Natural Stone is sealed because the actual density of each piece can vary even within a single piece can affect the effectiveness of your sealer. So that being a fact this will also place sealing challenges as some portion of the Stone will simply not absorb the sealer as readily as other portions of the Stone will...follow me? When you mix in grout joints and then the hydraulic action of cascading water over the top you simply may not be able to completely rid this portion of the install from having an ever changing shading pallet to witness. It doesn't mean that the install is in jeopardy or of a poor quality you are working against the characteristic of a Natural Stone as a porous material even when sealed. If the grout does not have sufficient amount of sealer covering it then water can easily pass down through it right past the sealed area of the Stone and darken the Stone from beneath where the sealer cannot reach and protect. Marble is a great material with which to use as a shower floor as long as the the customer fully understands what they are getting themselves into. Carerra Marble is used across the World in 5 Start Hotels as bar tops, counter tops and in showers and it is the most porous of all Natural Stone short of unfilled Travertine and it too can and will darken when wet or in contact with moisture and when dry will return to the lighter more Natural shade where it started. There will always be a "count the cost" application with any Natural Stone as some are best limited to Back Splashes or Fireplaces, accent walls or picture niche, but nearly all customers will be happy to consider any and all options if they know what to expect once the install is complete,ok? That's it Joann I hope this helps you with your problem, feel free to return anytime...

Perry V.

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga

Ceramic Tile/Marble. I can answer questions about floor preparation, tile selection, layout questions, performance of products, expectations of finish, compatabilities, questions about grout and epoxies, evaluating an installer, asking the right questions to check competence...more? 33 years this August 2012/ many years in commercial application from exterior finishes to Mall store fronts/ interior finishes like floor packages in stores inside Malls examples: The Limited, Lerner/NY, Lane Bryants, Bombay Co., Now involved in Residential new construction covering all types of interior finishes and designs.

I worked in an exclusive field of floorcovering called "Tenant Development" which is by invitational bid only, by way of a National bid list. These are large floor packages usually over 3500 sq. ft. of 18" x 18" Marble and Granite and many other types of Marble and sizes. They are specialty stores where the floor package can cost upwards of $50,000 for one store. I have also done "Structure" stores and J. Riggins stores, Lane Bryant,Express and Body Shop stores where wood flooring is used. Presently work for a National Flooring Company in the Residential new construction arena that covers most interior design elements..Granite Slab tops/wood flooring both job finished and prefinished ect..

My response's are published all across the Internet and picked up by multiple Interior Design sites and Industry related web sites where people have questions...

too many most of which don't count...