Flooring and Carpeting/Tiling an entranceway...grout

Hi there,
I just grouted for the first time. Most of it looks great so far (2-3 days ago). However, right by the front door I grouted between the tile and the metal kick plate and it cracked. I chipped it out and grouted again last night. It cracked again. Is this because it is between tile and metal? Or the draft under the door? Or because the kick plate must move a bit when the door opens? Is there anything else I can fill that joint with so it looks finished?

And lastly, when can I seal the grout, and with what? Do I have to?

Thanks very much,

Hello and thank you for contacting The Grout Dye Company.

Dear, Erika;

Sorry for the delay in answering your questions, I was in the hospital for a couple of days, and forgot to turn the system off.

In any case, the area where the floor meets the door jamb floor plate is considered an expansion joint in that there will always be movement there between the plate and the tile, general from foot traffic and shutting and closing of the door. The grout will always crack in this area because grout is a non resilient material and can't absorb the movement so it cracks, it is always my recommendation to use a sanded caulking in this area either acrylic or silicone based. Most grout manufacturers sell caulking to match there grouts look for one where you bought the grout or at any local home improvement center. If you can remove the grout from this area and put in the grout that would be best if not just going over it will also be a help in keeping the area from cracking more. Also generally you can seal the grout after it has cured, which is usually 14-28 days depending on the grout manufacturers recommendations. Yes, all cement based grouts in my opinion should be sealed.

Thank you;

Flooring and Carpeting

Michael C. Malizia

I can answer questions about, Grout and ceramic tile restoration and installation. This topic generally focuses on new or old installations that have an existing problem. I can offer advice on how to correct common made installation mistakes. Such as, cementitious grout problems, efflorescence, ghosting, shading, and flashing. And tile installation problems such as, floor deflection, slip resistance, loose tiles, vapor transmission and many others. These are just a few of the problems associated with new tile and grout installations. I can also offer advice with restoring old tile and grout problems such as, sealer removal, re-sealing, grout re-coloring, grout repair, and caulking.

Have worked in many different phaces of construction since 1983, I am owner / operator of a Tile & Grout installation and restoration business. I am also a technical advisor for The Grout Dye Company. since 1995.

General studies

Connecticut Stamford Hilton,Southampton hospital, Mcdonalds, Wading river hotel, Eastwind caterers, La pizzola, Setauket bagels, Sortsman kennels, Savinos resteraunt, Custom Building Products, Super-tec, Cancos, Southampton brick and tile, Tech, Dap, Poland spring water etc.