Flooring and Carpeting/Transition between two carpets at top of stairs.

I am carpeting a stairs and the upstairs hallway has an existing, different color carpet. The question is how to do the transition between the two carpets. My wife and I cannot agree on which is the best option. The options that seem to make sense include:
a) Have the stairway carpet end under the lip of the top step, so that the upstairs hall carpet covers that top lip. With this option when you are walking up the stairs you see this oddly different color carpet on the lip of the top step, but when you are in the upstairs hall you see a uniform appearance.
b) Have the stairway carpet cover the lip of the top step and end just past that. With this option everything is uniform as you climb the stairs, but if you are standing in the upstairs hall you see the different color stairway carpet at the point where the stairs go down.
c) Have the stairway carpet run into the upstairs hall just a little bit. This has similar characteristics to option b.

Can you advise as to what is the best solution for this?

While it is a matter of personal preference, I have almost always seen it installed as your option "a". That's also the way i would do it. One's eye would more expect and accept a transition from the stair carpet at the bullnose of the step (top lip) rather than at a flat area such as b or c where one would more expect the carpet to be uniform. It is always better to transition at a meeting of two separate mediums (bullnose versus riser) rather than a single medium (hall floor).
Hope that helps. :)  

Flooring and Carpeting

R Adams

Certified Installer 1966-1976, Certified Carpet Cleaning Instructor 1976-1985, Certified Commercial and Residential Floor Inspector since 1985 is available to answer questions on problems with carpet or other flooring, and carpet cleaning. I can guide you as to whether you may have a valid claim against a manufacturer/installer/dealer/cleaning company.

Floor covering Installer 1966-1976 Carpet Cleaning Instructor 1976-1985 Floor Covering Inspector 1985- present

Floor Covering Inspector Training School; FCITS Floor Covering Inspection Technical Services; FITS Certified Claims Inspectors Association; CCIA

Hartford Courant

B.S. Chemistry 1971 A.S. Physical Science 1969 Armstrong Certified Installer 1972 3M Certified Carpet Cleaning Specialist 1976 FCITS Certified in Carpet and Hard Surface, Commercial and Residential

GE, Phoenix Insurance Group, McDonalds Corp, WTNH, US NAVY, Xerox, Time Warner, Pitney Bowes, Conair, Yale New Haven Hospital, UCONN, Price Waterhouse, Pepsico.