Flooring and Carpeting/Air Bubbles in Carpet

QUESTION: I have notice few air bubbles atleaseat 3 in wall to wall carpet in my house. The carpet was installed in july of 2007. What can I do to rejove those air bubbles.

ANSWER: I need more information. When you say "air bubbles" are you talking ripples or buckles with air space beneath? Or actual roundish elevations with air space beneath? You said it was installed in 2007. When did you first notice these? Is the carpet installed as a stretch in over pad? Or is it directly glued to the subfloor? Has the carpet ever been cleaned? If so, did you notice these after the cleaning? Was anything ever spilled on the carpet? Did it ever get wet? Are they all in one place?

QUESTION: This I noticed about 2/3 months ago . This said carpet is in bedroom and it is at the door and near the attached bathroom door. It was vaccumed but not cleaned. It is streched over in pad. It is like bulge but i dont see any carpet unglued from the corners.

What you are trying to describe will probably either be a ripple or a roundish hump. A ripple is usually longer than it is wide.

If it is ripples it means that the carpet needs to be re-stretched back into place. While it may look secure at the perimeter it may have disengaged from the tackless strips. Ripples can be caused by movement of furniture or failure to properly stretch the carpet during the initial installation. Unless you have experience in carpet installation, I would advise you to have it professionally done. If this is a fairly recent installation your retailer may (or should) do this for free.

If it is a roundish hump it can mean that the carpet has delaminated from it's backing. If it was a carpet defect this would have been noted almost immediately. Spilling a solvent on the carpet can cause the latex to swell and will also cause a roundish hump. This may or may not be repairable. The carpet would have to be pulled back and inspected.

More than likely, especially if you know nothing was spilled there, it is ripples needing a re-stretch. If you'd like you can send me a photo(s) of it for identification.  

Flooring and Carpeting

R Adams

Certified Installer 1966-1976, Certified Carpet Cleaning Instructor 1976-1985, Certified Commercial and Residential Floor Inspector since 1985 is available to answer questions on problems with carpet or other flooring, and carpet cleaning. I can guide you as to whether you may have a valid claim against a manufacturer/installer/dealer/cleaning company.

Floor covering Installer 1966-1976 Carpet Cleaning Instructor 1976-1985 Floor Covering Inspector 1985- present

Floor Covering Inspector Training School; FCITS Floor Covering Inspection Technical Services; FITS Certified Claims Inspectors Association; CCIA

Hartford Courant

B.S. Chemistry 1971 A.S. Physical Science 1969 Armstrong Certified Installer 1972 3M Certified Carpet Cleaning Specialist 1976 FCITS Certified in Carpet and Hard Surface, Commercial and Residential

GE, Phoenix Insurance Group, McDonalds Corp, WTNH, US NAVY, Xerox, Time Warner, Pitney Bowes, Conair, Yale New Haven Hospital, UCONN, Price Waterhouse, Pepsico.