Flooring and Carpeting/bait n switch carpet

hi,i was wondering if you have heard of mills selling one style/weight of carpet,but sending something similar? also,how could i prove this to be the case? i have been installing for 27years,selling and installing for 15yrs,and have run into this problem many times!!it seems to happen mostly w/commercial loop carpets.thank you for any info/help/advice.dan

No, I haven't heard of them purposedly switching carpet.  But I can tell you from experience, there are times where a product may accidentally be made out of spec.  That is, not the correct fiber weight as stated.  

The way you prove it is to provide a spec and sample to an independent testing lab.  Its very affordable.  I've done tests that are less than $100, some as low as $25.  They will verify the carpet is manufactured as promised.  

Are you buying from the manufacturer or distributor?  If distribution, that may be the issue not the manufacturer.  

Good Luck and let me know any other follow up questions you may have.  

Flooring and Carpeting

Carol Blaha

Flooring questions: Specification, Warranties, Inspections, Product Knowledge, Enviromental Issues

I have been in the field 25 years, first as a specifier, then retailer and currently manufacturer representative on contract with 8 manufacturers, independent inspector and conduct moisture testing. Founding board member of the CO Chapter, US Green Building Council

WFCA (World Floor Covering Association), NTCA (National Tile Council America) SCRT (Society of Cleaning & Restoration Technician), ASTM F60, (Environment) and F06 (Resilient Floor)

Colorado Real Estate Journal, Smart Buildings

MBA, CTC (Certified Tile Consultant), RRT (Carpet Repair & Reinstallation), CCT (Carpet Cleaning Technician, ISSI (Substrate Inspection) and completed coursework for Independent Ceramic Tile Inspector, Hardwood/Laminate Inspector and Senior Carpet Inspector. Scheduled to complete Independent Resilient Inspector in April.

Multiple Awards for Salesperson of Year and President's Club

Clients include Fortune Co's to mom and pop