Flooring and Carpeting/Best Approach to Prepare Subfloor

Thanks in advance to taking my question.  I have a 100+ year old house that I've gutted and now trying to put it back together.  Wondering how to best to prepare the subfloor in the kitchen area.  Currently, the floor has a couple different coverings on it and therefore - different heights.  Part of it just has the subfloor (tongue and grove - no plywood), part has very thin tile #I'm assuming asbestos containing tile), and the majority of it has the tile covered by a sheet of linoleum. What steps would you take to get an even surface to work with?  Thanks again.

Kris Blumm

It depends primarily on what type of flooring you are going to put down in each area. Stone or tile will require the most rigid structural support and carpet will have the least amount of concern. Wood floors will be more difficult.

Sheet vinyls and any vinyl products will be a major issue.

Let me know

To follow up, I plan to either put in an engineered type floor - like laminate plank flooring that you snap together (floating type floor), or a tile floor.  I was thinking that I would not do tile because there are two corners of the room where the floor significantly dips down.  The dips are because the floor joists in those corners have slipped and twisted (they are in a stone foundation).  Thanks again for answering my questions and I appreciate any advise you can offer as this is my first time doing this type of project.

This forum will limit the amount of questions and responses per day, so if you need more information you can e mail me

Since laminate has a thin foam underlayment it can be slightly forgiving...dips are filled with a manual troweled floor patch such as that sold at the Home Depot or Lowes. Home Depot sells Henry's and possibly Ardex. Lowes sells Mapei Plani Patch.  These products can be mixed with water or latex additive for extra strength. They can be layered and built up with multiple  coats.They dry within 20 or 30 minutes with the aide of a fan.

You will need an assortment of buckets for mixing and fresh water...trowels and a drill with a mixing paddle. A hand scraper (4") will come in handy as well as a 6" dry wall knife
DO NOT USE SELF LEVELING products unless you plan on doing large areas and have a helper.

There are a ton of videos on You Tube that show both methods of preparing the surface for many types of flooring, I have watched some myself.

I will be happy to assist you in every step to help you approach this with confidence. Floating a floor is tricky and may seem daunting but it is easy to fix mistakes even when dry. If you have a Harbor Freight Tools near you, you can buy tools on a tight budget.

Flooring and Carpeting

20+ years flooring installation ...carpet,wood,tile and vinyl. Residential and commercial. I do not sell the products , just install what ever the shop / customer has purchased. I actually love seeing the finished project completed and it gives me great satisfaction to help others acheive that goal. If I don't know the answer I will say so, and then I will recommend another expert for you. I may even research the subject and answer to the best of my ability ...including links to my sources. I wish you all success Chris

20 years as an independant contractor

H.S. diploma A.S. agriculture Mt San Antonio JR. College

Gene Bonas and Kevin Churnock Inc. Sheward&Son&Sons Century 21 Forte Const. Famous Footwear BOSE Corporation Homebodies General Contractor Perry Floors, Tri Cord Flooring T.J.'S Supplies