Flooring and Carpeting/Flooring finishes height difference

Question
I am having new flooring installed in the kitchen and the adjoining family room. The house is a ranch on a concrete slab. We are thinking of putting vinyl tiles in the kitchen and a plush carpet in the family room. My question is with the height difference between the vinyl tiles, which will be glued down to the slab and are about 1/8 " thick, and the carpet, which is about 1/2" thick with a 1/2" thick pad. It appears to me that this could be a trip hazard. Is there a general rule requarding the maximum height difference between floor finishes? Thank you.

Answer
Chuck,

Typically the transition in a residence from carpet to vinyl tile on concrete is a "clamp down metal" about 1/2" in height. i have seen a smaller profile in 3/8 ths but it is not as sturdy / long wearing. Gold or silver are the color choices. It protects the carpet edge from wear and wet mopping.See the diagrams
http://samsflooringsupplies.com/id89.html

Another transition is the "Z" bar method. The carpet is rolled over a thin metal and then pounded flat the metal is hidden and the fiber is visible only....but the edge of the carpet gets severely worn after a few years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qid7Nv79ryY

Your installer will be able to offer you 2 or 3 choices if you ask. Sometimes they charge a bit more for the "Clamp Down Metal" but it's worth it, if you like it.

Chris  

Flooring and Carpeting

Chris