Flooring and Carpeting/Flooring finishes height difference

I am having new flooring installed in the kitchen and the adjoining family room. The house is a ranch on a concrete slab. We are thinking of putting vinyl tiles in the kitchen and a plush carpet in the family room. My question is with the height difference between the vinyl tiles, which will be glued down to the slab and are about 1/8 " thick, and the carpet, which is about 1/2" thick with a 1/2" thick pad. It appears to me that this could be a trip hazard. Is there a general rule requarding the maximum height difference between floor finishes? Thank you.

Typically the transition in a residence from carpet to vinyl tile on concrete is a "clamp down metal" about 1/2" in height. i have seen a smaller profile in 3/8 ths but it is not as sturdy / long wearing. Gold or silver are the color choices. It protects the carpet edge from wear and wet mopping.See the diagrams

Another transition is the "Z" bar method. The carpet is rolled over a thin metal and then pounded flat the metal is hidden and the fiber is visible only....but the edge of the carpet gets severely worn after a few years.

Your installer will be able to offer you 2 or 3 choices if you ask. Sometimes they charge a bit more for the "Clamp Down Metal" but it's worth it, if you like it.

Flooring and Carpeting

20+ years flooring installation ...carpet,wood,tile and vinyl. Residential and commercial. I do not sell the products , just install what ever the shop / customer has purchased. I actually love seeing the finished project completed and it gives me great satisfaction to help others acheive that goal. If I don't know the answer I will say so, and then I will recommend another expert for you. I may even research the subject and answer to the best of my ability ...including links to my sources. I wish you all success Chris

20 years as an independant contractor

H.S. diploma A.S. agriculture Mt San Antonio JR. College

Gene Bonas and Kevin Churnock Inc. Sheward&Son&Sons Century 21 Forte Const. Famous Footwear BOSE Corporation Homebodies General Contractor Perry Floors, Tri Cord Flooring T.J.'S Supplies