Flooring and Carpeting/New Carpet Installation - Plastic/Crunching Noise

We have just had new carpets and underlay fitted - the carpets are hessian backed (as opposed to felt) and the underlay is the bumpy rubber kind with a paper backing. When you walk on or put any kind of pressure on the carpets (even on the vertical part of the stairs) it makes a crunching/crinkling sound - as if you were walking on plastic. We have asked the fitters to come back to try to find the problem, but the only answer we get is "i don't know, we've never had this problem before".. they pulled the carpet up and the sound appears to be coming from the underlay (ie when you press on the underlay it makes the noise) - which is fitted rubber side down, with the paper backing up touching the underside of the carpet. The fitter says that he only sprayed adhesive onto the underlay backing on the stairs, and the noise is everywhere - stairs and rooms. We pulled up the old carpets ourselves and the underlay was the same but with no paper backing.
Should the backing have been pulled off; was it put the right way down (ie paper up); is it simply the wrong combination of carpet/backing (and should they know this); could the adhesive have reacted with the paper and hardened to cause the noise; could the underlay be 'defective'...?
We have no idea where to go from here or what can be causing this - and the company that supplied and fitted the carpets won't help us.
Please could you offer some advise?
Thank you

I have never dealt with any products from the UK except an underlay for would flooring. 1 of the best actually, wish we could get it everywhere.

I would think that the paper side would go down...and I would try that if it were possible. Might be a bit of a problem. I wish I could be of more help, in the USA we use a dense foam with a thin layer of plastic on thin it is like cloth. never crunchy and serves as a binder / protection sheet. Other underlays are jute fibers and synthetic fibers for commercial applications.

Worst case scenario ....have the fitters remove it and replace with another brand, no paper.
Why won't the company help ?? You must have some avenue to process a claim and have a representative inspect it. This is troubling indeed.

Flooring and Carpeting

20+ years flooring installation ...carpet,wood,tile and vinyl. Residential and commercial. I do not sell the products , just install what ever the shop / customer has purchased. I actually love seeing the finished project completed and it gives me great satisfaction to help others acheive that goal. If I don't know the answer I will say so, and then I will recommend another expert for you. I may even research the subject and answer to the best of my ability ...including links to my sources. I wish you all success Chris

20 years as an independant contractor

H.S. diploma A.S. agriculture Mt San Antonio JR. College

Gene Bonas and Kevin Churnock Inc. Sheward&Son&Sons Century 21 Forte Const. Famous Footwear BOSE Corporation Homebodies General Contractor Perry Floors, Tri Cord Flooring T.J.'S Supplies