Flooring and Carpeting/Carrara Tile

Question
Hi.  We have 2" Carrara Marble mosaic that we are installing over Schluter Ditra.  Ditra calls for an unmodified thin set mortar to be used but I know that special care has to be taken to prevent staining on the underside of the marble tile.  Should I just be looking for an unmodified thin set in white or is there a specific brand or type that I need to use?  Please let me know at you earliest convenience.  Thank you!

Answer
Thank you for your question JStar...

Whenever I am installing a light colored Natural Stone I will be sure to always use a "White" thinset whether it be a Latex modified or a standard thinset. I have used both installing over Ditra depending upon how much time I have for the install. My personal preference is Mapei products and they do have both types of "White" thinset and both will perform to expectations. When attempting to install a Mosaic (no matter what the material is) it is best to flat skim or fill the Ditra first and let dry over night so that you will have a nice flat (and firm) surface to work from. This will reduce the possibility of having any corners settle or drop down into one of the open cells because the thinset is still soft or that an individual tile on the mesh be mounted oddly and out of level with the rest. That typically happens after you have cleaned up and quit for the day only to discover it the next day...follow me? Also in order to help keep the Mosaic's all running flat keep a grout float handy so that you can use it as a "beat block" (gently now) as this is better than trying to use your hand which isn't as big or as flat, ok? Just spread out the thinset..lay out the Mosaic where you want it...and use the float to gently tap the squares uniformly into the thinset. Once you have them all flat you can adjust the joints so that they are also uniform without disturbing how flat they now are. Ok JStar...I hope this helps you with your project, feel free to return anytime..

Perry V.  

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga