Flooring and Carpeting/saltillo cleaning/sealing

Question
Going to start on my old Saltillo floors.  Can you recommend cleaning and sealing products to use?  Also, not sure how the previous owner cared for the floors - some of the grout is discolored.  I am wondering if uniformity could be obtained by painting/staining the grout?

Many thanks!

Answer
Cleaning them depends on any particular issues the tiles have, but generally I start off with a wax or floor finish stripper to clean them, hand scrubbing them and wiping up the dirt, etc. right away with paper towels, then going back over them again with just plain water and wiping that up with paper towels also.  Use a narrow scrub brush to work the grout lines. If they are not cleaning up so that the grout looks even, you can paint the grout lines, and there are some companies making paint for grout lines.

If, after cleaning them up, there are tiles that take on water should water be put on them, then a penetrating sealer should be used first. Once the porosity is blocked, a topical sealer can be applied over the tiles. From there, it is a matter of whether to apply and maintain a finish over the sealer, or just let it go at the sealer.

Bill Hohmann
Sparks

Flooring and Carpeting

Bill Hohmann