Flooring and Carpeting/BASEMENT FLOOR

Question
I want to replace 500 square feet of carpet in my basement. I had a water problem in a section of the floor, but re-routed the gutter and pretty sure it's corrected. We can't decide between carpet ($1000) laminate ( $1600) or a beautiful METALLIC EPOXY SYSTEM ($2850).  Anything you can say to help us decide would be great.

Answer
Hi Roger,

Well if you have a basement that is possible to have further water issues I would stick with carpet. Carpet can be removed dried and cleaned by professional water damage companies or simply replaced via insurance policies.

Laminate will be ruined completely and require total replacement. I do like laminate though, but it has a tendency to be very sensitive to moisture over the years. Slight moisture issues undetected at the time of install will cause the laminate to swell at the seams and eventually buckle. Also you will need to spend additional monies on base shoe moldings or base board to complete the project. Possibly even more monies if you wish to have a large throw rug.

I am not a big fan of epoxy paint...rather polishing the concrete and staining it like they do in retail stores and malls would be a better option and never peel or chip. Now that would look special! Would be impervious to moisture issues and would last a lifetime.

I wish you the best in your venture,

Chris  

Flooring and Carpeting

Chris