Flooring and Carpeting/ceramic tile on osb board

Question
I'm installing ceramic tile on 2x4 sheets of osb boards to be hung on a wall for tile art at a school. There will be 11 boards in all. can not use cement boards for hanging reasons.  will be a total of 32 6x6 tiles on each. will 1/2 thick osb board a good product to use ?

Answer
Dennis,

OSB has a tendency to swell and expand with moisture. The wafer fragments separate and lift.

You would be better to use plywood with a solid smooth surface.

However if you use the acrylic adhesive which is a paste made for walls and kitchens and back splashes you wont have moisture that is associated with mixing cement and water(mortar). The acrylic adhesive is white in color. It is ready to use directly from the container. Available in quarts / gallons / 5 gallon.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Building-Products-1-qt-AcrylPro-Ceramic-Tile-A

There are 2 types of adhesive that are typically used
The cement mortar...and the acrylic paste. For ease of use and clean up the acrylic is water soluble and non toxic and does not irritate the skin.

The cement can irritate sensitive skin due to the alkaline nature and is recommended to use gloves, such as those used for doing dishes. It is also more messy to mix and clean up.

Over all I would say you will be OK, but I advise caution when moving the art work and flexing the boards. You want to avoid popping the tile. And I would hate to see the wafer OSB type board lift / separate and cause you grief.

I would definitely apply the tile to the shiny/ smoother side as opposed to the rougher side.

Best regards,

Chris

Flooring and Carpeting

Chris