Flooring and Carpeting/Repairing Ceramic Tile

Hello Perry,

I would like to know how to repair a chip in ceramic floor tile.  I contacted Home Depot, Lowes and tile stores in my area but was unable to locate any products that I could use or get suggestions of who I might call.

I tried Googling for a solution, as well as viewing some repair videos on Youtube, but didn't find anything that I felt comfortable with.

I do not have any left-over tiles from the original installation and the store where I purchased the tiles said it was an end of lot sale.

The surface that needs repair is light tan in color and the chip is between 1/16 and 1/8 inch in diameter.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Thank you for your question Steven,

Many if not most of the tile produced even 15 years ago seemed to have a dark brown bisk or body of the tile that was then covered with whatever texture and glazing on top. This always looks good so long as nothing is dropped or some other kind of impact that chips the glazing and reveals the dark bisk below. I know and feel your pain as years ago I also had to suffer this problem and when your a tile mechanic the wife will not sit for very long as you try to ignore the problem. So...I went to Porcelain then moved on to Natural Stone which is both the natural progression and the perfect solution to this annoying problem. Now for your particular noticeable issue. What I have done in the past is one of two things with one being a stronger (temporary) solution. First I tried the Acrylic paint that I dabbed on the chip. While this did work for a time it always seem to come off after a few weeks of general traffic. So I moved to the next stronger phase and that being fingernail polish. This is a fair option and there is the added benefit of having a plethora of colors to choose from. This is a much stronger application and can last for several months even a year and the color match is often quite good. Lastly Steven depending on the color (tan or whatever) there is Porcelain touch up paint. Appliance tech's use this all the time to fix damage/chips in the porcelain tops and cabs of stoves and etc. This works very well but the color choice is rather limited but I'm sure there is "Almond/Bone" tinted porcelain paint which may be the ticket for you "until" you can make the jump to a more contemporary selection for your flooring...ok? That's it Steven I hope this helps you with your problem, feel free to return anytime...

Perry V.

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga

Ceramic Tile/Marble. I can answer questions about floor preparation, tile selection, layout questions, performance of products, expectations of finish, compatabilities, questions about grout and epoxies, evaluating an installer, asking the right questions to check competence...more? 33 years this August 2012/ many years in commercial application from exterior finishes to Mall store fronts/ interior finishes like floor packages in stores inside Malls examples: The Limited, Lerner/NY, Lane Bryants, Bombay Co., Now involved in Residential new construction covering all types of interior finishes and designs.

I worked in an exclusive field of floorcovering called "Tenant Development" which is by invitational bid only, by way of a National bid list. These are large floor packages usually over 3500 sq. ft. of 18" x 18" Marble and Granite and many other types of Marble and sizes. They are specialty stores where the floor package can cost upwards of $50,000 for one store. I have also done "Structure" stores and J. Riggins stores, Lane Bryant,Express and Body Shop stores where wood flooring is used. Presently work for a National Flooring Company in the Residential new construction arena that covers most interior design elements..Granite Slab tops/wood flooring both job finished and prefinished ect..

My response's are published all across the Internet and picked up by multiple Interior Design sites and Industry related web sites where people have questions...

too many most of which don't count...