Flooring and Carpeting/salitillo problem

Question
We just had salitillo tiles laid.  The variance of color is unacceptable, from very very light to very dark.  Is there anyway that we can darken these tiles?  We were not savvy about the tiles and believed Arizona tiles about the consistency of color.

If they can't be darkened, we'll start over and demolish what we have just laid.

Lynne Feldman

Answer
There are a couple ways to do this.

You get the burnt umber ink from a hobby shop, and mix it way down with water, around 1 part ink to at least 200 parts water, and put this in a spray bottle. You can then spray the light tiles, then let them dry. If they are still too light, you can repeat the process until they are closer in appearance to the darker tiles. Then seal starting with a penetrating sealer.

The other way to do this is to use our oil based sealer as the penetrating sealer on the light tiles, and our waterborne penetrating sealer on the dark tiles.  Do one at a time, until totally dry before doing the others with the other sealer.  

These sealers are the Stone Glamor and Speed Penetrant Sealer (SPS).

Once all the porosity is blocked, you can apply the Mex Seal as your topical sealer.

Saltillo normally does have a lot of variation in it, but these two methods will minimize the degree of variation.

Bill Hohmann
Sparks

Flooring and Carpeting

Bill Hohmann